Popsicle Stick Sleds
Need a quick and easy teacher gift? Kid craft? Grandparent gift? I’ve got you covered.
- Eight popsicle sticks
- Mini clothespins (if you want to make gift card holders)
- Acrylic paint in the color of your choice
- Mod Podge (optional)
- String, yarn, or twine
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
I bought the popsicle sticks and mini clothespins at Target. Everything else I had already, but you can also buy those things at Target.
Total cost per sled was about $.23.
Disclaimer – please handle the hot glue gun for your kids. I’m darn near a pro with them and I managed to burn myself a few times. It hurts!
- Lay five popsicle sticks out in this pattern:
- Cut a popsicle stick into two smaller pieces and hot glue across the back of the five popsicle sticks. I cut my sticks to 1.75″, but you should cut yours to a length that works for you. (Popsicle stick sizes vary.)
- Dot the crosshairs with hot glue. Lay two more popsicle sticks as rails.
- Glue string to the inside front of the rails.
- Let the glue dry, then paint.
- After paint has dried, add a coat of Mod Podge. I like satin finish.
- Optional – when everything is dry, add a mini clothespin to the front. This makes a great gift card holder.
Other ideas and tips:
- Make a bunch ahead of time for crafting emergencies, like a snow day.
- Or make a bunch ahead of time for non-emergencies, like class parties, winter birthdays, or grandparent gifts.
- Tie to treat boxes or gifts as extra decoration.